Re: engine lathe?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: engine lathe?
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 23:56:14 -0700 (MST)
16 x 40, wow!  I guess the ideal situation would be to have such a lathe at
a friend's shop, where one could make use of the capacity when needed, but
wouldn't need to be responsible for the care and feeding of such a unit.
In truth, it wouldn't really have a much bigger footprint than a typical
serious hoobyist's 9 x 16, or the old Atlas 10 x 30 or whatever it was I
use to have before the owner took it back.

Anyway, if you can provide space and power for it, that could be quite
nice.  I still remember the, uh, 94? Vintage Triumph Register convention in
Asheville, North Carolina.  One of us needed some sort of bit for a car, there
was a NAPA store reasonably close, so off we went.  While the transaction at
the counter was taking place, I wandered over and took a peek into the back
room.  They had this lathe in the warehouse that was *big* - if they had the
chucks to fit, you could probably turn a complete TR6 in the thing, if for some
reason it was necessary.  I was impressed.  But then again, I've never toured
a shipyard.

mjb.