Re: shop/slab questions

To: jdrush@enter.net
Subject: Re: shop/slab questions
From: George P Dausch IV <gpd4@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 06:48:17 -0500
Simple answer is yes.  However, that is essentially what the water
blasting does.  BY modulating flow rate, pressure, and nozzle type, we
actually put holes through a slab like a core drill.  The trick is to get
the top stuff, if loose, to be gone without destroying the solid stuff.
GPD4

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 02:17:39 -0500 Jon & Deb Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
writes:

> Shouldn't you chip off the top surface of the old concrete until you
> see
> the aggregate? We were always taught that the top layer of concrete
> was
> the weakest and should be removed if you want a good bond with the
> new
> concrete.
>
> Jon Rush
>
> George P Dausch IV wrote:
> > 2.  Sweep off the original, then water blast to remove all loose
> stuff.
> > Allow to thoroughly dry and form the edges.  Apply a coat of
> concrete
> > bonding agent according to directions.  Pour somewhere arond
> 1.5"/2" of a
> > very high strength pea gravel mixture with fiber.  This gives a
> bonded
> > slab, but counts on the integrity of the existing slab.  Cracks in
> the
> > original will migrate upward eventually, even if forced into
> preplanned
> > control joints.
> > In either of the above cases, concrete thickness is the minimum
> from the
> > highest elevation of the existing.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!