RE: GE Home Fuel Cell

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: GE Home Fuel Cell
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:41:11 -0800
Interesting.  Apparently, it somehow separates at least some of the hydrogen
atoms from propane or methane (natural gas), and uses them to run a fuel cell
to generate DC, which is then converted to AC power.  Whatever is left, is
burned (catalytically at relatively low temperatures, I would assume) to
produce heat.

Sounds pretty neat for someone living away from the power grid, or worried
about long term power interruptions.

But, it sounds like the heat generation is an integral part of the power
generation process.  If you don't use enough heat in the summertime to match
your power needs, the difference is thrown away, I'll bet.

Randall