Novice TIG Welder Questions

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Novice TIG Welder Questions
From: "Chamberlain, Warren" <Warren.Chamberlain@kla-tencor.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:14:10 -0800
Hi Shop talkers,

I will soon be getting a Lincoln Square Wave 175 Pro TIG welder. I'm a
novice to TIG welding and therefore have a few questions:

* The welder comes with a Lincoln "Magnum PTA-9 Pro-Torch (air cooled). Here
are my questions:

 * Does the "-9" indicate a size

 * Are the sizes standard between manufacturers. (are there standards for
TIG torches)?

 * If yes to the above, can I use any manufacturer's parts (collets, chucks,
cups/gas lenses, etc), that are designed for a "9" torch?

 * Are torch connections standardized? That is, could I connect another
manufacturer's torch to the Lincoln box?

 * Can anyone recommend an online source for Lincoln (or compatible) TIG
torch parts

 * Can anyone recommend an online source for high-quality filler rod (Welco
W-1200, 4043, E-7018)

Thanks in advance for any help,

Warren Chamberlain

///