Re: Bending Plexiglass

To: "Eric Schulte" <schulte@odpemail.tamu.edu>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bending Plexiglass
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 23:42:13 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Schulte <schulte@odpemail.tamu.edu>
To: shop-talk@autox.team.net <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Thursday, February 08, 2001 2:39 PM
Subject: Bending Plexiglass

>Has anyone had the experience of using heat lamps and jigs to bend
plxiglass? I need to make a curved dome for a cabinet using 3/16" thick
plexi. I think I can use the metal corner channel for a templet. Any
suggestions would be helpful before I take a "crack" at it.

Don't use plexiglas.  Use Lexan.  It's more expensive, sure, but the stuff
is a dream to work with.  I have on two occasions (I'm a slow learner) tried
to use plexi and wound up breaking it and getting Lexan anyway.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.

///
///