Cheap Tools (was: Sawz-all clone on sale at Harbor Freight)

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>,
Subject: Cheap Tools (was: Sawz-all clone on sale at Harbor Freight)
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:28:54 -0500
> I'm sure it's not the quality of a Milwaukee or Makita, but is it adequate
> for occasional use ?
>
> I'm normally leery of 'Chicago Electric' (aka Chinese cr*p), but my 4"
angle
> grinder has served quite well for several years now ...
>
> Randall

I too am leery of non-name brand equipment.

I found a neat tool place near me (two of them in fact), Re-Tool.  As their
name implies they resell tools.  I've bought an used 1000lb engine stand
from them, and my sawzall.  While the engine stand was the same price as the
catalogues (as it was new), I got my Ryobi reciprocating saw for $60.  It
had been very slightly used.  This was the most expensive reciprocating saw
they had, they had a Craftsman one for $35 as well on the shelf.

Re-Tool is great for those tools you may use occasionally, want name brand,
but don't want to spend the price for a new one.  They'll demonstrate it for
you, so you know it works, and it comes with a guarantee.  Nothing like
being able to dig through bins of pre-sorted (by size) sockets to find the
one with the thinnest walls to fit that one nut that no of your other
sockets will fit.

Kai

///
///