RE: modern paint, old car

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: modern paint, old car
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 09:36:01 -0800
Sure you can do it.  The question is, would it be safe ?
The OSHA article at
http://www.osha-slc.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19850125.html
seems to imply that at least the concept is sound.

I haven't finished browsing the material, but the article at
http://www.osha-slc.gov/SLTC/isocyanates/mdi/mdi.html
seems to imply that at least some activated charcoal respirators are
effective in removing at least some isocyanates.  (Is that vague enough ?)
As others have mentioned, the problem is that there is no indicator of
end-of-life, since you can't smell a hazardous concentration of isocyanate.

Randall

Fred Zampa wrote :

> blast it, nothing is ever simple.  o.k. suppose i decide to use
> polyurethane
> paint and the necessary isocyanate hardener.   can i make my own positive
> pressure breathing mask by using the small diaphragm type air compressor i
> picked up at a garage sale ?

///
///