rags

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: rags
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@scs.agilent.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:57:28 -0700 (PDT)
I stayed out of the discussion about how to clean oily rags because like
many of you, I mostly use paper towels for clean-ups.  Of course, there
are times when only a rag will do.  For those fairly rare occasions I
do use a rag, then toss it.

However, I have a shop coat I wear when I have to work on particularly
grungy stuff.  Since they are kinda expensive, and I only have one, I'm
not inclined to toss it after use.  So, when cleaning time comes around,
what I do is rub hand cleaner into the greasy spots.  I use the kind
with petroleum products in it rather than the more bio friendly stuff
because it seems to work better.  I let this stuff soak in for several
hours- overnight seems to work, then wash it with regular laundry
detergent.  I have to admit I usually take it to a coin operated
laundromat to appease the wife.  This stuff has several advantages over
even the super-est of laundry soaps.  It actually remove virtually all
of the grease, leaves almost no stains, and since it forms an emulsion
with the soapy water, much less grease residue is left behind in the
tub.  I assume the same would be true for hand washing.

I've used this technique many atime to salvage non work cloths I've
accidently splattered grease or oil on.

One more suggestion- my wife uses a product called Zout (or some similar
name) which seems to remove just about any food stain, including cooking
oil.  My son claims that a mix of this stuff and hand cleaner works even
better than hand cleaner alone.

Now if I could just figure out how to remove paint stains from my
cloths...

Roland

///