Re: Gasoline Question

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gasoline Question
From: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 22:43:15 -0500
Erik Quackenbush wrote:

> In general engines built from the mid-70s on have hardened valve seats, as
> do engines designed before the widespread use of lead (1930s? not sure).
> lot of engines built during the lead years have cylinder heads that work
> just fine with unleaded fuel. Engines which ran using leaded fuel for many
> years and have been switched over to unleaded will also be fine- the valve
> seats have been coated/embedded with lead and can now tolerate unleaded
> fuel indefinitely.

I have a bit of experience which corroborates:  We converted jillions of gas
engined tractors, trucks, power units and autos to LP gas back in the
sixties.  LPG would likely have EVEN LESS valve seat lubricity than unleaded
gasoline.  The only cases of valve seat recession we experienced were those
engines fitted with positive valve rotators.  Until we learned to remove or
deactivate the rotators, those engines did suffer unacceptable valve seat
wear.   At that period of time, LPG was available for from 5 to 10 cents per
gallon (not counting road tax) if purchased in quantity.

Tony_______________________@Sherman.Texas

///