Re: Oil Can Misery

To: Gerald Brazil <gerrybraz@voyager.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Can Misery
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 18:28:59 -0700
Gerald Brazil wrote:

> Dave I can't solve the problem but you may have helped me solve a mystery. I
> keep my pumper oil cans as well as bottled quarts of oil on an old cafeteria
> tray on a shelf. Every time I pick up a quart of oil there is oil on the
> bottom. I always suspected a leaky bottle I never suspected that it was the
> pumpers because they are all metal. Must be that I have been suspecting the
> wrong thing as the culprit. Maybe I'll have to get two trays and keep
> bottles on one and pumpers on the other.

I had a similar problem with my pump oiler, then I realized that
the "can portion" of it actually was two pieces that were pressed
together.  The oil was wicking or seeping out of the seam.  I
soldered the seam with acid core solder, and I no longer have the
problem.

If your oil can bodies are one seamless piece, then this of
course is not the problem.  I don't know how the oil could creep
up the can and come out the spout, though, unless temperature
differentials are causing the oil inside the can to expand and
then it is pressuring the oil in the oil tube/neck to ooze out.

 Maybe your gasket on the screw cap is leaking, but then again,
then the oil would have to be at that level to work its way out.

regards,

doug

///