Re: Measuring Instruments

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Measuring Instruments
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 12:30:16 -0700
Larry :

I've gotten most of mine from Enco :
http://www.use-enco.com/
They sell a wide range of precision tools, in qualities ranging from
very good (Starret) through quite inexpensive (Enco), and at what I
believe is a low markup.  If you ask for their catalog, they'll start
sending you monthly sales flyers, which usually have at least a few of
the cheap tools on sale.  The cheap tools are definitely cheap, but all
of mine have performed adequately.  The lack of quality shows in things
like poor finish, sharp and/or rough edges, occasional voids in casting
surfaces, not initially calibrated, etc.

For starters, I would suggest :

Set of 0-6" micrometers (on sale for $63)
Telescoping gage set (on sale for $10)
6" dial caliper (on sale for $15)
1" Dial indicator with magnetic base (on sale for $22)
.001" to .030" set of feeler gages (not on sale)
precision straight edge, either separately (not on sale) or in a
combination square set (on sale for $30)

Randall

LRuggi2635@aol.com wrote:

> Hey guys-- I'm looking to purchase a set of (preferable), or individual,
> precision measuring instruments (good for at least .001), suitable for
> checking auto engine clearances, diameters (inner and outer), and run-outs.
> My local Harbor Freight sells some calipers and dial indicators, but I don't
> trust their quality (you know typical Harbor Freight-- some of it's good, the
> rest forget it).  Any suggestions where to start without spending and arm and
> a leg?  TIA

///