Re: Slick Storage Solution.

To: Eric Schulte <schulte@odpemail.tamu.edu>,
Subject: Re: Slick Storage Solution.
From: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:29:44 -0400
They didn't have any weight limits on the packaging which surprised me.
But based on my in-store reconnaissance, I would call them medium duty.
Tough enough to handle a few brake drums per shelf, but not something
I'd throw a transmission on. Go check 'em out at your local WalMart.
They are kinda small too.

In my book, if you have heavy duty things to put on shelves, nothing
beats the boltless ones like these
http://warehousing.freewebsites.com/boltless/. You could go cheaper with
homebuilt if you already have the tools for dado joints and some wood
laying around. I costed out the boltless vs. building heavy duty shelves
using all new wood with 2x4s, 5/8 plywood and Simpson Strong Ties and
the cost per shelf was about the same. I use homebuilt where I have to
fit an unusual space or height and the boltless ones everywhere else.

If you go with the boltless shelves, make sure you get the riveted kind.
You can throw one together in about 10 minutes with a rubber mallet. The
kind with the stamped metal tabs for attaching the shelves to the
uprights are a major pain because they never line up right and you have
to jigger them around. I've found Home Depot to have the best prices on
riveted boltless shelves.

Jon

Eric Schulte wrote:

> Any idea where I can get more info on the Plano cabinets/shelves? Just as you
>say, nothing happens when you click on the icon...... I'm curious about the
>strength of their product line. I have lots of heavy car related parts to
>store.
>
> Retro-Rick

///