more electric motor questions

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: more electric motor questions
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:00:36 -0700
Hi y'all.
I need to make an apple crusher for producing cider.

The crusher will need to be powered by at least a .5 HP motor.
A little more hp would be better.

A recent issue of the usual metalworking magazine has an ad
from some surplus place listing a 2.5 hp variable speed DC motor
with controller for about $50.

Now, I don't know what speed I'm going to want to run my crusher
at- the only info I have is from someone who built one and ways
that he ran the drum at 2x the motor speed, which I assume
was the usual 1750 rpms.  I was figuring on getting a set of
step pulleys and experimenting.

The DC motor runs from 0 to 6250 rpms, which ought to be enough
with 1:1 gearing.  It's cheaper than a new .5 hp A/C motor.

My question is, the motor is for "intermittent use".
What is intermittent defiend as?  Given past experience I
will probably run the crusher for 20 minutes at a time
and then stop for at least 5 minutes while unloading
the results.  I'll stop for longer if I'm loading
or unloading the press.

If it's a really good crusher that'll deal with a bushel of apples
in a few minutes, then I'll be running it less.  A lot depends
on my design for the crusher drum itself, which depends on
the sort of stainless scrap I can find locally.
(this will be a "scratch mill" design, where there is one
rotating drum with teeth that rip the apples to shreds).

Last year we used a (new) garbage disposal, which sucked because
we had to slice a lot of apples in half in order to
get them into the disposal.  It also overheated and popped
its breaker a couple times.  Hence the new crusher.
(my shop press works great as the press, with some
food-grade plastic cutting board material as the press plates).

What's the functional difference between AC and DC motors anyhow?

Thanks for any info/wisdom that you can provide.

Eric

///