Re: Light Bulbs

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Light Bulbs
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 08:13:27 -0700
BOB NOGUEIRA wrote:

> Anyone know of a source for specifications of auto light bulbs? ( The local
> which  has two high watt elements. If  I'm correct the standard 1157 bulb
> has one element that's 28 watts ( brake light ) and one that 8 watts ( tail
> light ). What I want is  two 28 watt  filaments on a bulb with the same
> base as the 1157.
> Am I searching for a critter that doesn't  exists?
> ( Okay I know you guys want to know....... what I want to do is put a
> separate brake light and turn signal in the same socket)

Hi Bob,

I know I suggest them for "all things,"  but McMaster has a good
selection.  Go to:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

and type in:

1505k58

for the part number.  You then can select the catalog page with
all the bulbs that would fit.  On the page, base type "X" will
fit. The socket style is called "DC Index Base" The base is .60"
diameter.

However, they show no dual filament with two of the same
filament.  I think I know what you are trying to do, but in a
normal setup, the turn signal and brake light share the same
filament, so that if the brake and turn signal both are on, it
needs to flash the filament.

I am afraid with what you are trying to do (if you can find the
right bulb), the turn signal may not be clearly distinguishable
as the bulb will not actually flash off and on, it would just go
from bright to very, very bright (if you were to apply the brakes
and turn signal at the same time, and this would have to happen,
your tail light would be consuming more current than your
headlight > 50 watts).  This could be a little dazzling for the
fellow sitting behind you in traffic.  ;)

I am not trying to discourage you from this idea (or, maybe I
am), but I don't think I understand what you would accomplish
when completed.  ???

regards,

doug

///