Re: Buffing wheels

To: mikey@b2systems.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Buffing wheels
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:55:56 EDT
In a message dated 8/16/01 7:12:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mikey@b2systems.com writes:

>    Several years ago I purchased a small buffer with 1/2 inch shaft, I now
> have a dozen or more wheels of different types for that 1/2 inch
> shaft.  These are all buffing wheels, not grinder wheels.  I have now
> purchased a real buffer with 3/4 inch shaft, can I force these old wheels

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I love a frugal shop owner.  I can never throw anything away either.

I am not an expert here, but a buffing wheel isn't exactly rocket science.  I
would try re-drilling the holes.  Drilling thru cloth is tricky.  Clamp two
pieces of scrap wood together with a wheel in between them.  Drill thru the
wood and the cloth should drill pretty cleanly.  Use a smaller drill than the
shaft on the new buffer so the wheels are tight enough.  You can probably
find center by tracing the outside of a wheel on the wood piece and finding
center on that circle, then make sure the wheel is in the center on the other
side when you clamp the sandwich together.

You may have better luck using a wood boring drill bit.  They cut the outside
of the hole with very sharp tips before cleaning out the rest of the hole.

Maybe it will work.  If you have to buy a wood boring bit and some wood, it
may be cheaper to just buy new buffing wheels and give the old ones to
whoever gets the old buffer.

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget