The Blob Lives!

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: The Blob Lives!
From: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 20:05:40 -0400
After about a month of operation, the rotary humidifier for my forced
air heat forms a gelatin blob in the water pan. When the blob dries it
looks and feels just like spray foam insulation. I assume it is a mold.
It makes the monthly cleaning a pain.

Anyone every encountered this? Is there a solution? Remember that the
water in the pan is continuously refreshed so I think a liquid solution
would get diluted rather quickly. Also I'm worried that whatever would
be strong enough to kill the mold would also be carried throughout the
entire house in the air system, so it must be very friendly to humans.
I'd heard that some metals, when soaking in water can prevent mold
formation.

Thanks
Jon Rush

///