plastic fittings in water system

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: plastic fittings in water system
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:16:07 -0500
About a year ago, I put in some cross-link-poly water tubing in my house.  I
bought some "Push and Turn" brand plastic compression fittings for this.
One place has such a fitting screwed into a galvanized tee.  1/2-inch
tapered pipe thread.  This thing developed a leak.  A fine spray jet, in
fact.

I replaced it with a brass npt/flare fitting and have had no problems.

But the condition of the plastic fitting I removed amazes me.  The thing
ooks RUSTED!  You know the shape that bolts on the underside of cars run in
salt develop, with the threads missing in places?  The part that was not
covered by galvanized, but was exposed to air, is eaten away, and there is a
rust-colored deposit on the eaten surface.  The pinhole where the jet of
water was coming out shows a rust-dot on the inside of the fitting.  Anybody
else ever see this?

I won't be buying this stuff again.  I have a big roll of the
cross-link-poly water tubing.  Any more projects with it will be brass flare
fittings.

"Sometimes a man's gotta do what a woman would never consider."
- Red Green

///