Re: Small Parts Washers

To: ceichhorn@mindspring.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Small Parts Washers
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 08:49:40 EDT
ceichhorn@mindspring.com writes:

> I need a parts washer for mostly little stuff (I'm a motorcycle guy more
> than a car guy....) Cleaning up tools, carb parts, etc.
>
> (1) Anything wrong with the little 3.5 gallon ones from Northern, etc.? No
> drum, just a square "tray" with a pump and lid....
>
> (2)

- - - - - - - - - - -

I bought a $39 washer from Harbor Freight.  It lasted me thru the work I did
on my MG Midget, about a year.  The problem is that the metal goosneck hose
screws onto a plastic fitting on the pump, and it just broke off.  That means
you have to replace the pump, and Harbor Freight wants $29 for the pump.  It
went in the trash!

All in all, if you are very gentle with it (not a normal trait for people
working in a garage!) it will work OK.  After I buy a new house, I am buying
a bigger, stronger washer.  If you can inspect it before you buy it, look for
plastic in all the wrong places.

BTW, for a solvent I used oderless paint thinner mixed with a pint of motor
oil.  Worked very well.

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget