Re: corrosive perspiration

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: corrosive perspiration
From: "Rex Burkheimer - WM" <rex@txol.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 08:43:04 -0500
Don, friends in the auto paint business know (and convinced me) that
volatile hydrocarbons, lead, and who knows what else is absorbed through the
skin over a period of time. Some chemicals only need a minute amount to be
dangerous.  It all has a cumulative effect. For some people, it apparently
manifests something like a chronic cold, or allergies. For others it can be
feeling tired most of the time, or hyper sensitivity to chemicals.
    I suspect a lifetime of washing parts in gasoline, squirting B-12
indiscriminately, and who knows what else, has affected my own health in
some subtle ways. I don't consider myself a hypochondriac, but I'm at least
a lot more respectful of the stuff that I get on my skin.  That's why I now
use the nitrile gloves.  The biggest drawback is the perspiration inside
them, but I don't really notice it until I take them off. The short-term
benefit is that I never have grease in the pores of my fingers, or the
corners of my nails. And the wife does not complain about me smelling of
hand-cleaner when I come in the house.

Works for me.

> few.  I don't like soaking my hands in stuff that rots tool steel, but
> the skin does grow back, right?

///