Re: South Bend Info

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: South Bend Info
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 07:36:53 -0700
Bob :

You likely know all this, but JIC :

Lindsay Publications sells several reprints of original South Bend lathe
books, including "How to Run a Lathe" and a collection of 8 smaller "How
To" booklets from SB.  See
http://www.lindsaybks.com/
to request a catalog.

'Home Shop Machinist' has several resources, including advertisers that
sell SB parts and a 'Third Hand' column where you can ask for things
like copies of someone's manual and specific questions.  I recommend a
subscription to both it and it's sister publication 'Projects in
Metal'.  They also have an on-line 'Third Hand' forum.  See
Http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/ubbs/Ultimate.cgi

Usenet has a large and very active newsgroup, with lots of retired (and
some active) professional machinists, as well as lots of amateurs of
varying levels.  Newbies are welcome.

Old machinery manuals come up on eBay frequently, I paid about $15 for
an original owner's manual for my Atlas.

Hope this helps
Randall

bob bownes wrote:

> Looking for some info on a South Bend 186-c, a 13"x6' lathe. Any
> pointers would be most helpful.

///