Re: newsletter stuff

To: JNiolon@uss.com
Subject: Re: newsletter stuff
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 23:23:59 -0400
At 01:14 PM 9/28/01 -0500, JNiolon@uss.com wrote:

>OK group,
>
>I've got a very good friend who belongs to a LBC (little British car) club.
>He must have made someone mad for now he is the keeper/publisher of the
>club newsletter..  (that will teach him).   He's about 8 months into it and
>is running dry for ideas for articles.  The membership is of little to no
>help and I've given him everything I've written or read in the past year.

This is a very tough problem.  Is this mostly a local thing with few
members?  If so, that is the hardest.  These usually don't have a lot
of technical stuff, but are big on the personal and beer bash stuff.
This isn't a bad thing.  People like to see their pictures, and names
in the newsletter.  So reporting on the last outting does that.

I've been publishing The Brickline, a quarterly magazine for Bricklin
International since Oct 97.  I won the "Old Cars Weekly's Golden Quill
Award" last year.  Hoping to do the same this year.  We have about 350
members, but I can count on 1 hand the number of people that send in
articles.

A couple of thoughts:

1. Have him miss an issue or two.  Then tell everyone why - no articles.

2. Cut back the number of issues put out - again tell everyone why - no
   articles.

3. Does he subscribe to many news groups?  If not, tell him to join several.
   They don't have to all be the same type.  I belong to Spitfires, Editors,
   British cars, Saab, Morgan, Bricklin, Shop-talk and a few others.  Problem,
   I was getting between 200 and 250 emails a day.  But this give you a lot
   to draw from.  While there are a lot if things specific to a particular
   marque, there are a lot of similarities among all cars.  So use info
   from the various mailing list.

   I have a section, "what their up to", which I usually draw from the various
   email questions from the Bricklin mailing list.  Then as I find good
   info on shop-talk, I'll put that in the mag. someplace.

   I'm pretty fortunate, in that I am pretty much of a techy and do all
   my own work.  So I can usually draw from something I'm working on.
   I end up writting a technical article every couple of issues.  I've
   written a 8 page article on rebuilding a tilt wheel steering column,
   just did a 6 page article on trouble shooting a non working horn.  I'm
   currently working on one about sandblasting, based on questions that
   have come up here on shop-talk.

4. Have they tried a "tech" weekend?  Have the members come over to
   someone's house and work on a particular problem or two?  This would
   make a nice article.  You can cover both the tech stuff that was done
   and also the beer bash side.

5. Have him take a look at my Morgan web page: www.team.net/www/morgan
   under the Restoration/Tech section.  I have several articles titled
   "An electrical Primer".  I also have numerious other general articles
   and a bunch that are specific to the Morgans.  If he sees anything
   that is interesting - that I wrote, tell him he is free to use it.
   I only ask, is that he at least tell me that he is going to use an
   article, if I give any credits in the article, they MUST go with
   the article, and if possible, I'd like a copy of the newsletter.

Good luck.  Hope things pick up for him.

John

        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org