More Sandblast cabinet suggestions requested (the topic I won't

To: virtualvairs@corvair.org, shop-talk@autox.team.net,
Subject: More Sandblast cabinet suggestions requested (the topic I won't
From: "Patton Dickson" <kpdii@softhome.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 23:36:32 -0500
Hey everyone,

Well I still haven't built the blast cabinet, but I'm off next week, so I
guess that is the top project.  I am trying to keep this project between $50
and $75 w/o the blaster itself (I already have that).

I almost have my design finished but have one question.  Does anyone know a
good source for a grate to use for the bottom of the cabinet.  I was
thinking about using BBQ grills or oven grates, but there should be
something better/cheaper.  Any suggestions.  I was thinking about the stuff
they make outdoor furniture from or grates to cover drains, but I don't know
where to start to find that.  If I need to I will base my final interior
floor dimensions around what grate (or combination of grates)  I can find to
save on burning my sawzall out.

As for my design, I found the below sites and am taking ideas from each one
of the to use in mine.  I am planning on using angle iron for the legs and
cross sections and plywood or particle board for the "box".  The only thing
that I haven't been able to figure out is the math to make the "funnel" for
the bottom to recycle.  I may have to wing it and cut it out as I go.  I did
notice that none of these sites are using the "funnel" bottom, is that
something very hard and I am too dumb to know it.

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/6937/blstbox.html
http://mrcol.freeyellow.com/sand-blaster/
http://www.n2video.com/62vert11.html
http://www.swiftsite.com/minibike/tech3.htm

Here was an interesting reference for a company that makes heavy duty
cardboard sandblast cabinets,
Savings by Design, Inc.
13810 Champion Forest Drive, Suite 235-K,
Houston, Texas 77069
(713) 893-7578
The reviewer I found liked his, said it cost about $70 and folded when not
in use but was a fairly large cabinet.  Unfortunately the number is no
longer any good, and I can't find them in the phone book.

Hopefully next week I will be finished, and back to car projects instead of
tool projects.  I you have anything else I need to think about in building
this, please let me know.

TIA

Patton

Patton Dickson - Richmond, TX