Re: 208v Air Compressors

To: hoerni@cooper.edu
Subject: Re: 208v Air Compressors
From: Donald H Locker <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:24:22 -0400 (EDT)
Hmmmm.  I'll try some ASCII art.

           / \
          /   \
         /     \
        /       \
       /         \
      /           \
     /             \
    /               \
   A--------n--------B

Phases A and B are the 120 legs, n is neutral, C is the third phase.
The angle between A and B is 180 degrees, while the angles CAB, ABC,
and BCA are each 120 degrees.  A-n is 120 volts; B-n is 120; C-n is
208 (and at 90 degrees to A-n and B-n, FWIW); A-B is 240; B-C is 240;
C-A is 240.  (these are all RMS values.  peak voltage is 1.414 times
as large.)

You can imagine this whole triangle spinning about the n connection
and the position of each vertex shows the instantaneous angle and
voltage of that particular phase.  The peak voltage (to neutral) of
phases A and B is 169; C is 294.

PFM!  (pure magic)
Donald.

> Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 09:54:32 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Timothy R. Hoerning" <hoerni@cooper.edu>
>
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Donald H Locker wrote:
>
> > neutral.  A normal house has just one leg of the 220 (230/240) brought
> > in with a center-tap.  Adding the third phase is a simple matter of
> > adding another connection to the transformer and bringing it into the
> > house.  (And then adding a third phase to the power panel, the
> > metering system, and the branch subsystem.)  Everything else can stay
> > the same.  Really!
>
>       How can this be?  The two phases coming into the normal house should be
> 180 degrees out of phase.  But in a three phase system the phases need to
> be 120 degree out of phase (relative to the adjascent phase).   I don't
> understand how what your saying could work.

///