Re: rubber vrs urethane

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <JNiolon@uss.com>
Subject: Re: rubber vrs urethane
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:08:38 -0400
<JNiolon@uss.com> wrote:

> <...> rebuild the front suspension <...> differences in using
> rubber (oem type) bushings and the urethane replacements
> <...>

My son and I rebuilt the front (and rear) end of his '85 El Camino
with urethane components.  The car is "tighter" it handles better,
without the added swaying that it used to have (although that
could have been worn out parts contributing to the play).  It
responds better, faster to steering inputs.  It also rides a little
harsher - not objectionably so, but it is noticeable.  The cushy
living room sofa, wallowing ride is gone.  If you want a smooth
ride, stick to OEM.  If you are the type that wants the factory
"High Performance" style ride, consider the poly urethane
bushings.

Tim Mullen

///