Re: does 240 = 120 + 120 ?

To: <wolfe@cisco.com>, <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: does 240 = 120 + 120 ?
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:13:17 -0500
"Bruce Wolfe" <wolfe@cisco.com> wrote:

> Keep in mind that the outlet is fused for 30 amps. And if you have a 20
> amp router and push it hard, the router will likely burn up before the
> breaker trips. Of course, if you have a 10 amp drill on a 15 amp
> circuit, the same applies.

Every 240 circuit I've seen has two 120 volt breakers ganged (connected)
together (i.e. a 30 amp 240 circuit has 2 15 amp 120 breakers) - one breaker
for each (120 volt) leg of the 240 volts circuit.

Now that said, I don't know that the 20 amp router tripping one of the
ganged 15 amp breakers would have enough "force" to trip both breakers...

I've never tried it...    Hmmmmmm.....    Any volunteers?

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA

///