Reliable tranny info

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Reliable tranny info
From: Steve Budde <super_racenut@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 23:46:00 -0600
Greetings Everybody,
I'm looking for info on a GM TH350 tranny, like gear ratios and such.  I
have a 700R4 in my car now and it's quite dead.  3rd and 4th gears are
gone, wait let me re-phrase that, I'm sure they are still there but the
trans won't shif into them, either automatically or manually.  I'd love
to replace it with another 700 but my budget limits the money I can
spend.  The 350 is available to me at no cost and I'm looking for pros
and cons of this swap. I know without the overdrive my millage will drop
but I only drive the car in the city occasionally and highway trips to
the track where I had planned on autocrossing it this summer but....  Is
this tranny ok for autoX??  I know there are lots of them in dragracing
but what about on a roadcourse?  Are the gear ratio's prohibative of
this?  or is it a better choice than the 700R4 even with the gas millage
trad off?

Thanks again for the help.  I'm sure somebody on this list can point me
in the right direction.  You folks haven't let me down yet.

Steve Budde
super_racenut@juno.com

///