OT: SCCA (was Woohoo!!)

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: OT: SCCA (was Woohoo!!)
From: "Rex Burkheimer - WM" <rex@txol.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 13:48:49 -0600
Dying?  Membership has gone from 55K to 62K in the last 4 years.   Our
problem is managing growth while making sure everyone has a place to play.
  SCCA has always wrestled with the "all things to all people" issues, of
which vintage vs current technology is one.  Much as we all like to see
vintage British iron kicking Jap butt on the track, we also see a lot of
gray hair among the membership. If we are to keep the club vital, we have to
recognize the needs of the younger membership - it's their club too - and
they aren't driving MGAs.
      We co-exist well with those clubs that cater to special interests -
vintage, marque clubs etc.   Hasn't always been so, but we're getting
better.
    It's a big job, and a largely thankless one. But we have the most
enlightened, forward-thinking, tradition-respecting leadership at the top
that I have seen in 25 years membership.

    As for vintage racing, that's apples vs oranges.   SCCA is 1st-rate,
wheel-to-wheel competition, with occasional damage being part of the risk
(ask me how I know :/ ).  The safety standards are the highest in the sport
of club racing, and higher than most pro racing.   Vintage is about enjoying
classic machinery at speed with reduced risk to body or vehicle.

I realize that this is OT the list, but anyone who had any interest in the
earlier post needed to hear the other view - for balance :)

Rex Burkheimer

> I'm sure you'll be successful Rex, SCCA has done a superb job of running
out anything interesting and not built under the Rising Sun.  Could be why
SCCA