Re: WooHoo!!, SCCA, Etc..

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: WooHoo!!, SCCA, Etc..
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 21:45:15 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Steve Budde wrote:
> Speaking of the Secret Car Club of America, I see that there are others
> out there that are dissatisfied with this national organization.  I have
> a few ideas for you.  First, I tried them when I wanted to go racing with
> the same car I drove to work everyday.  A coworker told me about this
> thing called Autocross.  When I called a number for the local area SCCA
> (Chicago) the first question that they asked me was "what kind of car do
> you drive?"  I told him that I had an Impala SS.  The SS was still in
> production at the time so it was a current car.  I was told that SCCA was
> for sports cars only and sports cars have 2 doors.  That was the end of
> the conversation.

   FWIW, that would have be right around the time I joined and started
autocrossing with the Chicago Region.  Nobody minded my big 4-door sedan
then, and nobody minded my huge Subaru *wagon* this or last year.

   There are a few regularly-autocrossed pickup trucks around here.

> I have been a member of MC now for 5 years and have learned that all
> regions of the SCCA are different.  Some friends that belong to a
> different SCCA region were shocked by my treatment but not surprised.

   Not only are regions different, people within regions are too.  I can't
imagine who you talked to on the phone, but I can say I've never met
anyone like that in 5+ years as a member.  That's not to say that attitude
never existed; in the 50s not only did you have to own a 'sportscar' to be
a member, you had to be interviewed(!).

   I've also been a Midwestern Council club member, and I'd be
hard-pressed to tell the difference between the people unless they were
wearing club hats.

   All I can say is "I'm sorry" for whomever that original contact was.

--
 D a v i d  H i l l m a n
 hillman@planet-torque.com