RE: upper cylinder cleaner (or something)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: upper cylinder cleaner (or something)
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 09:35:11 -0800
> is there a product that you can add somewhere that would help clean the
> carbon out of the EGR valve and save me some money...

I don't know of any such product, although sometimes I've been able to free
up my old valve with carb cleaner (the aggressive stuff with methylene
chloride in it).  However, I found an aftermarket EGR valve for my Chevy
that seems to work much better than the original design.  Instead of trying
to bury the 'amplifier' in the head of the valve, they made it a separate
piece off to the side.  The passages in it are much larger, and it doesn't
get nearly as hot, as the factory design.  It's gone about 10 years now with
absolutely no trouble at all.  In fact, it's probably the last thing on the
car that still works perfectly <g>

BTW, it was 1/4 the price of a new valve from the dealer, which was the
original reason I bought it.  It was approved by the EPA and CARB, even came
with a sticker and a list of approval numbers.  Had a selection of orifices,
and a quite wide application range.

Randall