Re: Misc junk: welding to stainless, car jack pads, and tracing

To: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Subject: Re: Misc junk: welding to stainless, car jack pads, and tracing
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:15:39 -0800
On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 02:03:14PM -0800, Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing wrote:

> Present #2 was a neat little tv/vcr combo to stick in the workshop.  I've just
> got to find a way to route the cable to it.  On the side of my house, there
>are
> 5 cable lines feeding into the house.  The thing is, there are only 3 cable
> jacks inside the house (none of which are close to the workshop), and only 2
> of them work.  Where did the other lines go?  I'm interested in figuring out
> where they went, and hopefully find that one of them is close to the workshop.
> A few years ago, when the alarm guy was over to install some more sensors, he
> had some he called a "warbler" (?) which he used to determine where some of
> the existing lines ran so he could tie into them.

Was it a little box that he clipped on to one wire, and a probe
thing with a speaker that he used to find the line?

If so, this is the same or similar to what telephone installers
(and sysadmins who ran networks before modular cat 5 cable) use
to trace wires.  The warbler box just puts a signal on the line, and
the probe thing's essentially an antenna that picks it up.
I'm sure that someone who understnds the theory will explain it all...

I've used them to trace phone wires and network cables.  I don't know
if they work on coax but I don't see why not since they work on twisted pair.
I bought a set for about $60 from Frys a few years ago.

> And finally, I got a nifty little carbon fiber do-dad for my motorcycle; an
> exhaust heat guard.  To install it requires welding 2 nuts onto the exhaust
> pipe.  The exhaust is made out of stainless steel, while the nuts, and my
> welding setup are for plain steel.  Now, this isn't really a high-stress
> application, as the part weighs a couple of ounces, but the exhaust will get
> very hot, and is subject to a lot of vibration.  Would I be able to weld
> the nuts on with my MIG setup, or do I need to get some stainless nuts and
> have a shop weld them on for me?

How about welding the nuts onto stainless hose clamps.  That way
there's less damage to the pipe itself and you can remove the whole
thing without leaving somethign behind.  And if you muff the welds
you won't have damaged an expensive pipe.

Eric