Re: [slightly OT] vehicle mass, tread width, and hydroplaning

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [slightly OT] vehicle mass, tread width, and hydroplaning
From: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 20:15:59 -0500
Chris Heerschap wrote:
> *heh*  Wanna talk tire storage?
>
>         http://www.db94.net/images/tire-piles.jpg

Yep! That's about what my basement looks like.

> > Also I wanted to thank Jon Rush for the link to the Gislaveds Nordfrosts,
>
> Yeah, I was about to get another set of Arctic Alpins, but I think I'll
> try his suggestion.  Anyone who has seen him drive at Philly autocross
> events knows to take his tire suggestions without question. :D

Garsh. <Looks down and twists toe into dirt>

I thought the Arctic Alpines looked like a great solution, but they just
weren't aggressive enough in the snow. Here is how I rank the tires.
Completely unscientific, just my seat of the pants. My Blizzak comments
are about the WS tires, not the MZ which I'm told do much better in the
dry.

Ice:
Blizzaks        100
Hakkas          90
Gislaveds       75
Alpines         60

Snow:
Hakkas          100
Blizzaks        95
Gislaveds       80
Alpines         60

Dry:
Gislaveds       100
Alpines         80
Hakkas          30
Blizzaks        10

Wear:
Alpines         100
Gislaveds       90
Hakkas          50
Blizzaks        40

So if you live where snow and ice are constant companions on the road,
the Gislaveds wouldn't be the best choice. But if you live in a place
where 90% of your winter days are dry road, the Gislaveds make a safe,
sane choice.

I'm just waiting for the Alpines on my wife's car to wear out so I can
replace them with Gislaveds. She just doesn't drive it hard enough to
kill 'em. I'll have to take he car out for an autocross or two this
winter. Yes, we autocross in the winter here in Philly. Come check us
out.

Jon Rush