Seized 02 Sensor

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Seized 02 Sensor
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 23:46:33 -0500
Went to the dealer to have the minivan transmission looked at.   $1600
later I have a rebuilt tranny.  I was also informed that the O2 sensors,
all 4, need to be replaced.  The dealer did not have the parts and said
they could order them and pay $300 just for the parts.  I picked up some
down the street for a lot less and replaced them myself.  The two up
stream were no problem.  The two down stream of the two cats were stuck.
 One with a little persuasion can free, but the one inches away from the
catalyst would not budge.  Instead the weld on the boss gave way.  It is
a thick heavy ring and for the life of me, I cannot free it from the old
sensor.

Apparently, no one will weld the boss back in for fear of the EPA, if I
could free it from the old sensor.  A new cat, actually two cats and
piping, will cost over $1000.   Inspection shows the cats are fine
inside.  I don't have a welder or the skills to weld it back in myself.

I have a few thoughts,  the bailing wire approach is to use J-B Weld to
epoxy it in but I don't think it would hold under the heat.  I also am
leery of poisoning the cat.  I search the web all day to see if I could
find a stainless steel blind threaded insert that would take fill the
1-1/16" hole and take the sensor thread.  The third option is to buy an
after market cat but for the same price I can buy a MIG.  SWMBO said "NO!".

Any ideas?

Peter Thomas