pouring a driveway section

To: Shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: pouring a driveway section
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 23:16:20 -0500 (EST)
list,

a huge oak tree fell on my mother's driveway a while back and she's ready
to have it replaced.  for some reason I volunteered to do the job.

I spent the weekend sawing through, sledgehammering and removing the
damaged part of the slab.  so now the driveway is missing a section its
entire width (11 feet) and 18 feet long.  I've got the truck ready to come
wednesday or thursday.

but--I had some questions about where the pour will meet the old slab.  I
had planned to just make an expansion joint at those two points (either
end of the pour) but now I wonder how wise that is.  should I use some
sort of border material?  my mom vetoed wood, but maybe some sort of
plastic?  I'm sweating this because after two days of john henry work I
*do*not* want to do this again and I'm starting to worry that somehow the
new concrete will be caused to crack, or will cause the old slab to crack
(more worried about the latter than the former).  any advice, or anything
I should know?

and while I'm asking, general advice about how to pour/float would be
greatly appreciated.  I've read a few books but hearing from more people
who've done it would be nice.

thanks

scott