Re: Compressor ratings

To: <ken.landaiche@nokia.com>, <Shop-Talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Compressor ratings
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:25:56 -0800
>smoke. So now I'm shopping for a two stage unit (that can run at 100% duty
>cycle!) and am faced with the decision about how much air I need for my
>home shop.

  As much as you can afford financially and space wise.  Sometimes bigger
really is better.  Plan on some pressure drop in your lines especially if
you use a lot of hose instead of 3/4 pipe.

>I was in one tool store, looking at pad sanders with ~15-20 SCFM (all at
>90 PSI) needs. Then the store down the

   I am not sure about the SCFM and CFM differences but what I did when
shopping for my compressor a few months ago is made sure I was always
talking the same rating to avoid confusion from comparing apples and
oranges.  If some one could not tell me the CFM I just walked away,  I
chose CFM because that seems to be the most common, I ran into a few people
who talked SCFM and one of them was SEARS.  I figured they were trying to
confuse me and stayed with what appears to the standard.

   A quick look at various tool catalogs indicate that most tools operate
in the less than 7 CFM, including several pad sanders, most were in the 4-5
CFM range.  From looking at A-I supply and TP Tools it appears that the
average glass beader requires around 15CFM.  TP Tools actually has nozzles
to go down to 4-8 and I used those nozzles with my original SEARS Airless
(Oiless but you would not call it that if you owned it)
compressor.  Most  Pressure Blasters seem to be the hungriest as
expected.   The 99-C at SanBlast uses 15CFM at 80PSI, again they have one
that operates at lower CFM and you can switch nozzles.

  Your compressor should never 100% of the time (if that is what you meant
by 100% duty cycle), it should only run about 2/3 of the time to allow for
cooling.  My new compressor runs about 15minutes total for each hour of
running.  I run my glass beader at 80-90PSI and the compressor only comes
on for about 3 minutes 10 minutes or so (I didn't sit down with a stopwatch).

         mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/