RE: Slab for an outside lift

To: "'shop-talk@autox.team.net'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Slab for an outside lift
From: Conrad <conrad@conrad.uk.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:40:14 -0000
Keith thanks for the reply. It brings up a new question tho...

> First the altitude of the shop floor is your major
> concern.... if you can live with it above the current grade
> there is no harm in building it up.... BUT.. you do have to
> have some form of footer which maintains the monolithic slab
> in the same location over time....This is a 12-18" deep and
> wide trench around the outside of the slab.

I see your point. This very subject has troubled me about the floor inside
the barn as well:

The barn currently has a block wall on 3 sides (built by the preious
owners). I am putting a concrete floor inside. I am making the floor level
with the top of the foundations for the wall, ie as if the wall had been
built on my floor. The foundations for the walls are rough as if the
concrete was just poured into a trench, so its proving diffcult for me to
get a clean edge for me to hardcore/concrete up to. Given what you say about
my outside slab, should I just work up to the walls as best I can, and dig a
new trench around the inside to the walls to locate my slab?

Do I put 6" of hardcore in the bottom of the trench and compact that
(meaning that the trench has to be wide enough for the compactor) or does it
not need hardcore down there? It sort of seems like I would have a job to
get a nice edge to the hardcore along the sides on the trench as well - does
this not matter?

Thanks for your help, sorry if this sounds a bit over-worrying - I just
don't know whats important and what is not.

Conrad