Re: Dryer Repair

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dryer Repair
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 17:42:16 -0500
At 08:30 AM 3/6/02 -0600, Eric Schulte wrote:

>We have a 7 year old gas (propane) clothes dryer that suddenly stopped
heating. The electrical aspects appear to be operating (motor rotates
drum), but the gas is not igniting. Where should I begin? Ignitor? Gas
line? Plugged orifice? Any experience in trouble shooting this problem
would be helpful.

Retro-Rick,

  I don't have a gas dryer or hot water heater.  But based on my experience
with my dad's gas furnace, I'd suspect the ignitor.  You should be able
to tell if the gas solenoid is firing, and if the orifice is plugged but
trying to turn it on.  BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!  You may have to bypass some
safety interlocks to let you work on it.  But once the gas is supposedly
flowing, you should be able to light the gas with a match or lighter.  If
you can, the your gas flow is fine, and the problems is the ignitor.  If
not, then your problenm is with the gas flow.

John

        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org