Re: Bounce: Why isn't tjhis going through?

To: Roland Wilhelmy <rwil@cts.com>, Shop-Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bounce: Why isn't tjhis going through?
From: Matt <mattmahony@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 10:57:39 -0800
Roland Wilhelmy wrote:

>OK, Matt, how and where did your reply bounce?  Who sent it back?  An
>ISP or team.net?  Lots of reasons why something might bounce.  Let's
>try to whittle the list down.
>
>-Roland

Hello Roland;
Well I've got bounce messages and Headers.  If you or any of the others
can help figure this out, that would be cool.
I  really should have put this information into the first post.  It's
like asking "Why won't my car start?" with no other info.
Sorry.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Your message was not delivered because the Domain Name System
(DNS) for the destination computer is not configured correctly.
The following is a list of reasons why this error message could
have been generated.  If you do not understand the explanations
listed here, please contact your system administrator for help.

     - The host does not have any mail exchanger (MX) or
       address (A) records in the DNS.

     - The host has valid MX records, but none of the mail
       exchangers listed have valid A records.

     - There was a transient error with the DNS that caused
       one of the above to appear to be true.

You may want to try sending your message again to see if the
problem was only temporary.

     DNS for host autox.team.net is mis-configured

The following recipients did not receive this message:

     <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

Please reply to Postmaster@attbi.com

Reporting-MTA: dns; rwcrmhc53.attbi.com
Arrival-Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 06:16:52 +0000
Received-From-MTA: dns; attbi.com (12.225.233.191)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; autox.team.net

Re: Dryer Repair

Matt <mattmahony@attbi.com>

Wed, 06 Mar 2002 22:16:39 -0800

shop-talk@autox.team.net, schulte@odpemail.tamu.edu

0001
00000000
<>
Mail Administrator <Postmaster@attbi.com>
1.0

multipart/report; report-type=delivery-status;
Boundary="===========================_ _= 8579101(2951)1015481897"

This  was  the  first  bounce
It indicates a problem with DNS.  That is the Directory somewhere out
there in cyberspace that tells another computer where to find the IP
address (Phone Number if you will) of the computer you are tying to
contact using the URL, or easy to remember name. In this case
"shop-talk@autox.team.net".  I did send a message to he postmaster at
attbi.com, my ISP, but all I got from them was a bot response
essentially patting me on the head and telling me to run along and play
nice. That was when I sent the mesage to the list. Pretty silly on
reflection.  Kind of like that commercial where the clueless boss tells
the guy "I sent you an E-Mail telling you the E-Mail is down."  But it
did go through so I'm wondering if it was something to with the reply
function, rather than the new message function.  I'm no IP guru but I
play one on TV and I can't think of any reason why the reply would
bounce and not a new message.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- The host does not have any mail exchanger (MX) or
       address (A) records in the DNS.

     - The host has valid MX records, but none of the mail
       exchangers listed have valid A records.

     - There was a transient error with the DNS that caused
       one of the above to appear to be true.

You may want to try sending your message again to see if the
problem was only temporary.

     DNS for host autox.team.net is mis-configured

The following recipients did not receive this message:

     <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

This was the second bounce with the same report as the first.

Attbi hasn't told me anything useful so I'm wondering if they have a
problem.
Anyone else out there using attbi.com?  In my case this is what they
switched me to when excite@home.com  went TU.
I know I've missed some mail that should have reached me but this is the
first time I've had a problem sending to a known good address.  If
anyone has any good ideas, I'd sure like to hear about it.
Thanks,
Matt