Re: Auto Transport Trailer Tires

To: Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net>,
Subject: Re: Auto Transport Trailer Tires
From: Bruce Thompson <bandst@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 16:30:14 +1300
Steve,

> What do you mean by "cross over size"?  I figured I would use the same
> 215/75/14 whether I bought radials or not.  Am I missing something here?

I'm in New Zealand, so there are some different ground rules, but generally
speaking most (but certainly not all) commercial grade tires are 80 profile,
that is the side wall height expressed as a percentage of the nominal width.
In NZ, we would fit a 195 R 14 for your application. It gives the same rolling
radius, though slightly narrower.
 If you can get heavy duty tires (tyres) in a 215/75 then that's great, but
going on what is generally available here, we are somewhat limited.

There seems to be a few more of you guys than us, so you have more choice.
But for safety sake, I would go nothing less than 8 ply rating.

regards,
Bruce.