Re: Cleaning the underside of the cars

To: Patton Dickson <kpdii@softhome.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cleaning the underside of the cars
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:36:25 -0800
At 03:39 PM 3/15/2002 -0600, Patton Dickson wrote:

>I was looking for ideas on the best way to clean the underside of the
>Corvair before I change the leaking oil pan gasket.  I also need to clean
>the underside of the MGB to get it ready to strip for paint.  One idea I
>found on the was to run a lawn sprinkler under your car and turn on full
>blast. Then move it around so it will reach all areas.
>
>This really didn't sound like it would do much, but then I thought that I
>could combine that with one of those hose attachments that are supposed to
>spread liquid fertilizer.  Instead of the fertilizer I could use a
>biodegradable cleaner.  I thought that the spray might act like small
>pressure washers and clean some stuff under there before I hit it with a
>brush.  What do you think, is this just wasting time, will I save some
>effort by doing this.

A sprinkler might get some of the loose stuff off but I was unable to
completely clean an E-type minus engine with a small pressure
washer.  There was still grime in the corners.

The various cleaning agents are helpful, but I've always needed to get
up close and personal before anything was clean.  On the Jag, the first
coat of surfacer's function was to identify the places that had been
inadequately cleaned.

Steve Shipley
Seattle, WA