RE: tractor ranting - best deleted!

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tractor ranting - best deleted!
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 22:48:21 -0800
Well, Tony has checked out, but just in case anyone else is interested in
the truth ...

> Maximum pull certainly IS maximum DBHP, that was the subject.

Horsepower is defined scientifically as "550 ft-lbs/second" or the amount of
energy required to lift 550 pounds of weight 1 foot in 1 second.
Translating this to drawbar terms, this is pulling with a force of 550
pounds, 1 foot in 1 second (or 1.47 mph).  If you pull with a force of 550
pounds, but take 2 seconds to travel 1 foot, then you only have 1/2
horsepower.  Likewise, if you can pull with a force of 550 pounds and move 2
feet in 1 second, you have 2 horsepower.

Here's a quote from the OECD you seem to think is the Nebraska tests :

1.13 Power at the drawbar
The power available at the drawbar sustainable over a distance of at least
20 metres.
1.14 Maximum drawbar pull
The mean maximum sustained pull which the tractor can maintain at the
drawbar over a given
distance, the pull being exerted horizontally and in the vertical plane
containing the longitudinal axis of the
tractor.
<<<

See the difference ?  Pull is not the same thing as horsepower !

> My quote was:  "IN SOME CASES"  .  .  .  sheesh!

And my quote was "I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE WEIGHT".  Obviously, you don't know
either or you'd have told us what it was.  If it's always in the written
test, then why wasn't in the quote you gave (or the test results I found on
the web) ?

> Too wrong and ridiculous for comment . . you "haven't a clue" as
> to drawbar
> horsepower.

Sorry, I'm not the one with no clue.  Horsepower is force (or torque) times
speed, any high school kid should know this.  Drawbar horsepower is the
horsepower measured at the (duh!) drawbar.

> according to the codes of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and
> Development (OECD).

Which are different than the Nebraska tests, at least as they existed when
the tests we are talking about were done.  Might as well say the Magna Carta
is the US constitution.

Randall