Freon substitutes

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Freon substitutes
From: "brad.kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:35:00 -0700
We recently purchased a 1976 Coachmen Motorhome in overall
excellent condition.  One item in question is the truck A/C
system.  (not the overhead unit)  This motorhome is built on a
Chevy Van G30 chassis.  It had sat for 7 years and has the typical
water damage but fortunately nothing severe.

Currently the A/C system does seem to provide a little bit of
cooling.  However it is no where near where it should be.  I'm
guessing that it is likely to be low on R-12 freon.  I've been
researching alternate products on the web and have found products
like Freeze12 and Autofrost R-406A that appear to be good choices
as a substitute for R-12 with Autofrost being the likely better
choice.

Anyone have any experience with any of these?  Any pros/cons to
think about?  I have read where you need to totally evacuate the
system before introducing the replacement gas.  Anything else I
should be aware of?

TIA

Brad
1976 Coachmen Leprechaun