RE: clothes washing machine

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: clothes washing machine
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 07:53:30 -0800
> Our trusty washing machine (about 6-8 years old) has stopped spinning
> the clothes out dry enough on the last spin.  It has NOT completely
> stopped spinning and just listening to it, it seems to be going as fast
> as it ever has, but the clothes are quite a bit damper when they go to
> the dryer.  Enough damper that it takes an extra 30 minutes or so to dry
> them.

My old Whirlpool has a two-speed transmission, with a lever and solenoid
that hang out the side.  If someone flips the speed switch (normal/gentle)
on the panel while the motor is running, the lever gets bent, leaving it
stuck in either high or low.  First time it happened, it was stuck in low
(which reduces both agitate and spin speed), bending the lever back into
shape cured it.  Now it's stuck in high, and I just haven't bothered to
upend the machine and bend the lever back again.

Randall