Re: static shock

To: dms@scheidt.chem.nd.edu
Subject: Re: static shock
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 20:50:03 -0700
dms@scheidt.chem.nd.edu wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, john nolon wrote:
>

> > ok oldtimers...
> >
> > remember back in the '50s and '60s... you used to see those rubber static
> > electricity ground straps on cars... my question.. did they really work ??
> >
> > I get out of my wife's car and reach to close the door and it strikes an
>arch
> > like a flashbulb going off... must be my silk underwear ???? but it's dang
> > agrevating... got any suggestions ???
>
> It's a tire problem.  Some tires are much worse than others;  it's something
> to do with how the tire rubber is compounded.  One trick I've learned is to
> hold on to the metal door frame while getting out of the car.  that way the
> shock is through the shoe, or just gradually disipated.  The rubber ground
> straps are still available, though I'm not sure where from.  They're not just
> rubber; they have wires  running through them that do the actual grounding.

Don't think the ones we use have wire embedded in them--they're made of
a high carbon content rubber. Check with your local truck supply store.
They should have them, since they're DOT-required in many places. If you
can't find any in such places, call Prevost Parts in Elgin, IL.
(800-799-9938). They sell them for our buses.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

The gulf between content and substance continues to widen....