RE: Problem with starting

To: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas@adelphia.net>
Subject: RE: Problem with starting
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:56:59 -0400
Everyone,

As I wrote before:

> My son's '85 El Camino (5.0L V8) has a problem starting when
> the temperature is cold.  It smokes.  Blue clouds of oil
> smoke.  But if the outside temperature is 10-20 degrees
> warmer, no smoke, starts right up and runs great.  <...>

Several people wrote to suggest that it's worn rings (I hope
not!!) or a bad PCV valve.  I had thought of the possibility
of the PCV valve, but didn't think too much about it since
it was fairly new.  In any case, they are only a couple of
bucks so I slapped in a new one.  Now it starts just fine
with no smoke or oil burning.  So...   It was either a stuck
PCV valve or that fact that the weather warmed up by about
10-15 during the morning.  I still can't imagine that the
small difference in outside temperature would make that big
a difference, but I'm hoping.  Now I just need a cold day
to see if it makes smoke again.

I should do a compression test, but it is a royal pain in
the #$% to get the plugs in and out (I only have easy access
to two of the plugs - the other six are knuckle busters),
let alone get the hose from my compression gauge in
there...   =8-O

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA
'72 Lotus Elan Sprint