Re: Cut-off saw as a mitre saw?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cut-off saw as a mitre saw?
From: JNiolon@uss.com
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 10:35:39 -0500
Ross,

I've got a Black&Decker 14" chop saw... and have used it with a 10" carbide
tipped blade for cutting 4x4 posts in a fence job...  it worked great...
but you can't get nice precision cuts like you can with a miter saw...  I'd
hate to see the crown molding this saw would make.  I think my chop saw has
a 1/2 or 5/8" arbor and the blade fit one or the other..  You could always
make a bushing to fit out of a equal thickness washer ground down...

what is your project... ???    for rough sawing/ general carpentry it would
do fine... for finish work...spend the bucks

what I'd like to do is be able to convert my abrasive blade to a metal
cutting bladed chop saw but the folks that sell the blades don't recommend
it...

john

Good Day!

Does anyone use an abrasive 14" cut-off saw as a mitre saw with a smaller
diametre wood blade? I have need of both tools, yet I'm loath to purchase
both if I can make due with one. I realize that the blade is smaller, so
I'd
have to construct an elevating "table" above the fixed base. Is there any
other reason why this would not work? Are the arbours different for 14"
abrasive discs and circular saw blades?

I'd really like to save a little money on this, if possible.

Thanks,

Ross.

like old Ford trucks ?? check out my site at
http://jniolon.clubfte.com   or our home site at
www.ford-trucks.com