Re: polishing/waxing a car with orbital waxer..

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: polishing/waxing a car with orbital waxer..
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 14:12:18 -0700
>in other words, I'd like a primer on random orbital waxing !!!

You should be able to get a presentation from your local
Meguire's representative if you can get a group
of enthusiasts together.

I've seen the presentations by Griot and Maguire's and
it's a complex subject with the basic question being:
Are you waxing new, refinished, or try to maintain old
paint?  I believe Maguire's claims that the ultimate final
finish requires a buffer.

http://www.meguiars.com/
Will provide a "Paint Care Prescription"

I don't keep any of my cars particularly nice but I use
Griot's clay for cleaning and Meguires glazes, waxes,
detailers. etc....

You can damage paint with a buffer.  The foam pads are
the least aggressive, the wool are the most.  I use clay and
Meguires on my 95 Talon by hand.  The paint's in good shape.
No buffer needed.

My 55 F-100 gets an occasional wash with Dupont Acrylic Enamel
in the driveway.  The wool buffer brings out the beauty of the paint,
usually disguised by my lack of application skills.

Steve Shipley
Seattle, WA