Re: Shop heater

To: "Eric Petrevich" <eric@megageek.com>,
Subject: Re: Shop heater
From: "Phil Ethier"<pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 18:00:40 GMT
>Does anyone have any more info on this model?  I would like to pick it up,

>but I am unfamiliar with how the size rating works.  What area will this
>unit heat?
>Is a shop considered "nonresidential?" enough for this unit?

Not if you don't have constant ventilation.

If you are going to insulate a shop, I strongly suggest the heater be a
through-the-wall
type that uses outside air for combustion and exhaust.  I paid a lot for my
Empire.  It is a 30,000 BTU unit.  I have a 20 x 30 shop.  The heater hardly
ever comes on when it is zero degrees F outside.  I hold the shop at 50 degrees
F all winter.

I like the fact that whatever I have in the shop can't get to the flame, and
the heater can't use up all my oxygen or dump its own fumes into my shop.

For a shop which is essentially open to the elements, and you only want to heat
it up now and then, just about anything will work.  But not for me.  I played
that game for decades, and I am thrilled to no longer have condensation, tools
freezing to my fingers, and just plain annoyance.