Re: next question - cable access vrs DSL

To: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: next question - cable access vrs DSL
From: William Hook <wghook@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 19:21:09 -0700
Although this is not technically a cable vrs DSL reply,    I would like to add
that I added DSL at my office through earthlink last January.   It took about
two months to get the modem, and the local phone co. to make the connections
but...  Once it was up and running it is great.

The good thing is that it came with a free modem (w/ a 12 month contract) and 20
hrs/month of free dial up access for home.   When I eliminated the second phone
line by using DSL I end up saving about $12/month and have much better acess.

The down side is that the phone line at work is now terrible... lots of static
and background noise.  I have had the phone line checked.. OK.  The filters that
were provided to put on the phone line after the splitter just are not up to the
task of filtering out the stream noise.  I find that occasionally during a phone
conversation I have to reach over and turn off the modem.... a bit of a hasle
but workable.

Bill Hook