OT: modem won't stay connected

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: OT: modem won't stay connected
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 16:38:15 -0400
(was: next question - cable access vrs DSL)

Apologies in advance for further use of bandwidth...

I'd like to switch to DSL someday but the truth is 56k dial up is serving my
needs for now - with one problem. My modem will not always stay connected.
I've tried talking with tech support from the ISP (Mebtel - a local phone
company). They have suggested I fiddle with various settings at my end to no
avail. They did run a 'line test' and reported our phone line checks out OK.

This is what I am running: Windows 98 SE, Motorola SM56 internal modem

Here are the 'symptoms': I connect with no problem. (almost never get a busy
signal). Sometimes I'll stay connected only long enough to download email or
one web page (say a minute or two) then I can hear the modem click, my
connection is lost and I have to disconnect and redial. Sometimes, it will
disconnect 1/2 way through downloading email or a web page (in other words
not timing out due to inactivity). Sometimes I will stay connected to my
heart's desire then I'll disconnect (could be 30 minutes to two hours).

TIA for your input.

Eric