RE: next question - cable access vrs DSL

To: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: RE: next question - cable access vrs DSL
From: dms@scheidt.chem.nd.edu
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 16:05:43 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 24 May 2002, Scott Hall wrote:

> On Fri, 24 May 2002 ken.landaiche@nokia.com wrote:
>
> > That price difference is also why the phone companies have been
> > slow-rolling DSL for six years. DSL at $60/mo would kill their cash cow
> > T1s at $1500/mo. DSL has forced that price down to the mid hundreds
> > though.
>
> get out!  I thought the major outlay for t1 service was actually laying a
> cable to your location from wherever?  so it's $1500 just for service?
> and dsl is a competitor?  is it *that* fast compared to a t1?
>
> and while we're on the subject...what's "t1" mean, anyway?  and "t3"?  and
> what speeds do those designations represent, if any?

T1 is a four-wire connection used to deliver 24 64 Kbps full-duplex PCM
channels (called DS0s) via TDM.
The 24 channels provide an aggregate data rate 1.544 Mbps, or
24 voice channels.  Note that "T1" really means the physical layer, not
the data/voice service presented on it, which is called a DS1.  If the
DS1 is presented over something other  than a four-wire copper connection,
like microwave, fiber optics, tin can and string, coax, or mental
telephathy, it isn't really a T1, though of course everyone still calls it
that.  There is a DS2, which is four DS1s, presented on a T2, which is
a four wire connection also ( I think; never seen one), but thy're not
really used much.  A T3 is a coax cable that presents a DS-3, which is
28 DS1s, or 672 DS0s, an aggregate data rate of 44.736 Mbps.  DS3s are
almost always presented over fibre these days.

The cost of a T-carrier is in two parts.  One of them is the line cost,
which is usually based on the distance the line runs.  The other is the
cost of the service that's presented on the DSx, whether it's data, voice,
or some  combination.  Part of the reason fro the high cost is that it's a
real telco service with very high quality of service guarantees and priority
to get it fixed.

David